Saturday, December 6, 2008

American Tongues Video

I watched the American Tongues video and found it to be very interesting. I enjoyed seeing how people from other parts of the world speak. For example, in New York people say the word "schlep" and no one else in the world uses the word "schlep." This word is used in place of "to carry." So they may something along the lines of  "Can you please schlep my bags." Or a moving company in New York is called the Schleppers (the movers). Another word used on the east coast, I cannot remember exactly where, but they use the word "cabinet" for ice cream. This would be very odd to go to the ice cream shop and order a cabinet because in our city cabinets are things we put things in. This video also had some racial aspects in it. One of the black men was talking about his son talking like a white men and he did not want his son talking like a white man. Also, a white man in the video said that people in the east talk like "niggers." When he said this my mouth dropped in amazement. All I could think of in my head was "wow, really?" But overall I though this video was cool to watch and I learned a lot. 

No comments: